Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Loves: Michelin and Staypuft

Ian had his two month doctor's appointment yesterday.  Where, incidentally, I walked in with a cell phone but out without one.  So some ritzy Highland Park toddler has an awesome new iPhone 4 that mommy pretended not to watch him swipe.  Grr.

But, sigh, that's neither here nor there. The doctor told us that Ian is perfectly healthy and happy.  Funny how reassuring an uneventful doctor's appointment can be.

Anyway, going through all these baby milestones with Ian, I can't help but compare everything to my experience with Joe.  From my perspective, they are completely different kids, in every way you could think to list - looks, personality, baby-type skeelz, everything.  But most people who see Ian always express shock at how different he looks from Joe.  Which I sort of understand, since Joe's blonde hair and blue eyes are pretty milkman for our family. 


But really, Ian really looks a whole lot like Joe did at this age.

Joe at about Ian's age (by the way, see that blanket to his left?  in bed with him every night now.)   





Ian at about Ian's age
Okay, they aren't twins.  This may not be the best picture of Ian to use, since Joe still doesn't smile this much.  But gimme a break, my phone got stolen, I don't have many options.  Mostly I just wanted to show that Joe had dark hair and dark eyes for quite awhile.  So, success.

But the way my two perfect little boys are the same: they are huge babies.  Both were above the 95th percentile height and weight at this age.   I feel most of your eyes glazing over when you see the word "percentile."  Mommy talk alert.  But think about it: that means that more than 95% of babies Ian's age are smaller than him.  Or, think about it the way I do nowadays: 95% of moms are lugging significantly less weight into Market Street and Target every day than I am.  Ouch.  John's aunt Katy put it best: they are my little Michelin and Staypuft men.  Yum.

(Joe, by the way, isn't huge anymore -- he's about the 75th/85th percentiles now.  Coincidentally, this shift began right around the time he could walk.  Or, putting it differently, it began right around the time I didn't have to lug him everywhere anymore.  Typical.)

So Joe and Ian are both fluffy.  But, to me, that's where the similarities stop.  Point: I'm already learning what all parents of multiples say.  Each kid is so, so different from the others.  Sometimes it's easy to think you're a pro at being a parent (at least of a newborn) because you've already done it once.  But the fact is that each kid has totally different needs, totally different desires, totally different interactions with you -- basically, each kid is completely unique.  Already, Ian's personality is becoming clear.  Joe is my little shy, coy introvert.  I think Ian is going to be his total foil - an outgoing, troublesome little thunderstorm (as John likes to call him).  Here's to hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment